Everywhere I look there is the next best “weight loss” plan. It seems that being skinny is the ultimate goal and trumps health, energy, and longevity.
There are so many reasons why we need to shift our energy from that external number on the dial (which really only weighs our self-esteem) to an internal – “how am I feeling?” approach?
1. Because I do not know what your healthy weight is (and you might not either). Let’s just start by saying that BMI is a load of rubbish. Your healthy weight might be completely different to someone within your same age/height frame.
2. Because focusing on weight loss can have physical and psychological consequences. Such as distorted eating, yo-yo dieting (weight cycling), increased weight gain and negative body image.
3. Because your self-worth should not be determined by a number. Come on ladies (and gents) surely you have so many more qualities to celebrate other than that number.
4. Because your weight can fluctuate for a variety of reasons in just one day! From morning to night – your weight can fluctuate, that doesn’t mean you are putting on 500g of fat and losing it every few hours! And don’t forget that muscle weighs more than fat.
5. Because weight loss is only a short-term solution. 90% of us gain it back because there is so much more to being healthy than weight. I want you to be happy and healthy for the rest of your life, not just until the next diet is finished.
6. Weight loss doesn’t take into account your cultural, social, genetic etc. Again, our healthy weights are different; a scale or BMI number does not determine them.
7. Weight loss is not about health – you can eat crap or eat too little and still lose weight.
So, how can you tell if you’ve made improvements to your health or even lost weight, without the scale:
1. Your energy is better. You feel ready to start the day each morning and energy levels remain steady through the day.
2. Your clothing is becoming looser.
3. Other measurements show that you’re becoming leaner.
4. Your moods are better.
5. You’re sleeping better at night.
6. You’re able to eat your favourite foods when you really want them, and not lose control.
7. Your cravings for sweet or salty foods have decreased.
8. Your skin is clear and eyes are bright.
9. You exercise because you love it, and not as punishment for being a certain size.
10. No matter what your pant size, you’re able to look at yourself in the mirror and respect the person you see.