101 Ways with Eggplant
Ok, so I might be exaggerating somewhat, but last week I posted a photo of myself on Facebook holding an eggplant desperately looking for some advice and was seriously floored with all the different suggestions!
Having never had an positive encounter with an eggplant I can proudly say that I have tried a couple of the suggestions and am no longer a hater.
So, I thought – why keep these ideas to myself? While there may not be 101 of them, there certainly were heaps! Thank you to all of you who contributed. I hope you enjoy some of these suggestions and thank you so much to all the followers who shared the eggplant love.
1. Sliced and grilled on the BBQ brushed with olive oil and sea salt.
2. Use it like a lasagne noodle, and layer with mince of any kind, seasoned mozzarella and tomato sauce.
3. Slice thin, Salt each side for 30-60 mins if you have time and cook in the oven with balsamic vinegar and tamari sauce.
4. Roasted/grilled with other like veggie in a salad (zucchini, red peppers, plenty of parsley with a sharp cheese like Feta or Halloumi.
5. Slice your eggplant - not too thick, top with tomato paste then your favourite pizza topping and cheese - slide into a hot over and voila! The eggplant is your pizza base.
6. Put it in the bottom of a roasting dish with sausages on top. As the sausages bake the oil is absorbed into the eggplant.
7. Cut in half, pull out the flesh, dice it, put in a bowl, add diced tomato, mushroom, mixed herbs, onion, diced bread (1 slice) any other goodies you like, top with cheese and bake.
8. Slice thinly, 1.5-2cm thick'ish, then stick under a grill for quite a long time. No salt or oil required, except a little bit of oil on the tray so they don't stick. Grill until have golden brown bits and it goes all buttery. Serve with anything
9. Baked /BBQ’d in tinfoil with garlic salt herbs and soy sauce is yummy. Roasted in small chunks Grilled with oil and garlic or chilli and put in a salad. Cut into chunks and cooked with veggies on kebabs.
10. Coat in turmeric and chilli powder and pan fry. Eggplant is only yummy after having been sliced and salted and left to sit for 20 minutes. Rinse the liquid and pat dry.
11. Really thinly sliced , filled with a ricotta parmesan spinach, garlic pinch of nutmeg, egg yolk mixture and rolled ,like cannelloni. Put in baking dish with marinara sauce and cover with cheese and bake till tender
12. I just throw together miso and a little tamari - you could add maple syrup if you wanted. Chop the eggplant up baste and bake. Delicious hot or cold and you can blend to make a nice dip too
13. Ratatouille (eggplant, courgettes, onion, garlic, green pepper and skinned tomatoes. All done in large pan. Delicious with chicken or fish and served with rice.
14. Sliced eggplant, baking dish, cover with mix of passata, pesto and anything ever you want..then parmesan and another hard cheese grated on Top, bake for ages
15. I actually use it mostly in mince dishes to bulk it up. Just grate it and put it with other veggies in spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagne.
16. Thinly sliced then batter and deep fry. Serve with salad and wedges a great alternate to fish . Our version of home made fish n chips yum.
17. I just stir fry them or roast with other veg.
18. Eggplant passata, layers of it with tomato passata and cheese!
19. Stuffed with couscous and other things then bake
20. Roast it, then make a salad with lemon tahini dressing and lots of chilli and coriander
21. Grilled then can roll it up around Halloumi or feta
22. Roast with olive oil and Mediterranean herbs
23. Easy yummy curry. Fry chopped onion , tsp of crushed garlic and ginger in Little oil for 2 mins until onion is soft , add half a teaspoon turmeric fry for a few secs. The add Cubes of Eggplant. Add a little water and cover with lid. Cook until Eggplant is soft and buttery adding more water if needed. Add salt to taste (Thanks Milda!)
24. Cut in half. Salt it to get the butter out in about 10 mins wash it. Criss cross over it and put crushed garlic on top then drizzle with olive oil. Bake till soft and gooey and just before Eating the inside flesh squeeze lemon juice then salt and pepper
25. I just bake with olive oil salt pepper and chilli flakes. You can cover like bruschetta with tomatoes feta and maybe some lamb if you like meat
26. Cut them in half lengthwise and bake them in the oven. When the smoke detector goes off when you open the door then they are done. Then peel off the skin, slice it and put it in a salad (haha love it!).
28. Slice it into thick slices, salt and pepper olive oil. Gentle roast then just before it finishes top with Hoisin sauce or a mirin glaze, return to oven for a few minutes.
29. Works well in stir fry.
30. Tear off the skin of the aubergine, peel/scrape it off then mash up the flesh. Think you might add cream.
31. I like this fried in beef dripping and cut into cubes.
32. Baba ghanoush
33. 'Lazy' moussaka. I just cube the eggplant and add it into the mince mix. No prep work required. All topped off with thinly sliced potatoes covered in yoghurt, parmesan and egg blend then baked in the oven.
34. Peel it and cut into cubes, sprinkle with coconut oil and all purpose seasoning and roast. Then add it to: rocket, red onion, tomato, spring onions, chopped olives, mint leaves, sliced apple and balsamic dressing. Really nice with pulled pork too.
35. Slice in 1cm circles, dip in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. (Or subs for gf) fry. Top with sour cream and salsa.
36. Use it in place of meat in things like casseroles, or with tomatoes and capsicums and onions to make a vegetarian tomato casserole
37. Half the egg plant and scoop a little from the centre. Mix the scooped part with onions garlic and mixed spice . Fill the egg plant with this mixture and bake it till it is cooked.
38. Just chop it up and cook in a pot with butter yum. You need lots of oil when you bake it and also salt it before baking too
39. Cut it round, pass it on eggs and then on Parmesan cheese. Bake, turning it on each side. So crispy and delish!
40. Fried slices on your burger.
41. Egg, coconut flour, almond flour, Parmesan, salt, pepper, butter on top. 180c for 20 odd mins.
42. Cut it like an avocado, bake in the skin with EVOO, salt, garlic and Moroccan spice. Smoosh together.
43. Just slice and roast it with all your other roast veggies
44. Slice them into thick slices, blot excess water off. Add on top pesto, sundried tomatoes a bit of chilli and garlic and bake them!: delicious
45. Coat in polenta and salt and pepper, oven baked then drizzled with honey
46. Vegetarian nachos.
47. Miso glazed eggplant.
48. Cut in half and bake with salt and pepper and olive oil. Top the cooked eggplant with Tahini, yogurt and herbs.
You also shared some great recipe links!